When it comes to Indian cuisine, there is no shortage of delicious, flavour-packed dishes to choose from. Among the many mouth-watering options available, Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala is a dish that is sure to please.
I first tried this at the Cinnamon Lounge in Rishworth a few years ago one Christmas. We were there with some some friends, and I saw it on the menu. Initially I was tempted by the chillis, but was put off by the Tikka Masala element.
Anyway, one of our party ordered it and we all had a try and I have to say it was fantastic – I normally like curries slightly hotter and it certainly was that….
Table of Contents
What is a Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala?
This hearty dish is made by marinating chicken in a mixture of yogurt and spices, then cooking it in a chili and tomato-based sauce. The result is a dish that is packed with flavour and perfect for any Indian food lover. Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala is a great dish to enjoy on its own or to serve as part of a larger Indian feast.
If you are looking for a dish that is sure to impress, look no further than this authentic Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala recipe – Your taste buds will thank you!
Who Created the Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala?
At it’s core it’s a much more spicy Chicken Tikka Masala (not to be confused with Murgh Makhani). If you didn’t already know, according to wikipedia, Chicken Tikka Masala was first created (most likely) in the 70s and depending upon which story you want to believe, in either Glasgow or London using chicken tikka and a curry sauce based on tomato soup.
It was supposedly created by a Bangladeshi chef who wanted to appease a customer who complained that his chicken tikka was too dry!
The other story is that it’s a more westernised version of a traditional Butter Chicken…
But which ever version is true, this recipes takes your average everyday Chicken Tikka Masala and gives it some bite…
Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts Diced into bite size pieces
- 250 ml Plain yogurt
- 2-3 cloves Garlic finely chopped or grated
- 3 cm cube of ginger finely chopped or grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon + red chilli powder adjust to your taste preference
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely diced or grated
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely diced or grated
- 3 cm cube of ginger finely diced or grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 400 g Tin chopped tomato or Passata
- 2+ teaspoon ground red chili powder adjust to your taste preference
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 ml Double cream can use crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- water if needed
- 1 handful Fresh coriander (cilantro) to garnish
Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala Instructions
- Add all the marinade ingredients (excluding the chicken) to a bowl and mix well
- Add the diced chicken to the marinade and make sure it is well coated
- Cover with cling film and put in the fridge
- Leave it to marinade for at least 30mins, but ideally over night
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet / pan
- Add the pieces of marinated chicken and cook for approx 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through
- Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside
- In the same pan add remaining oil and the onion and cook for a further two minutes until the onion begins to soften
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander powder and chilli powder, gently stirring for 20 seconds
- Add the chopped tomato / passata
- Add salt / sugar to taste
- Cook on a low heat so the sauce is just simmering for approx 15-20mins until the sauce thickens
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and add the cream and gently stir to mix
- Add the garam masala and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the the chicken is cooked through - add water if necessary
- Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve
What Does Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala Consist of?
It’s fundamentally a Chicken Tikka Masala, but with more chilli to give it more of a kick
What’s the difference between this and Chicken Tikka Masala?
The amount of hotness due to the additional chilli that’s added to a Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala. This extra chilli can be either fresh chillies, dried chillies or simply additional chilli powder added to the dish
Why is the UK’s National Dish Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken Tikka Masala is the national dish of the United Kingdom for a number of reasons. First, it is a dish that is enjoyed by people of all cultures and backgrounds. Second, it is a dish that is relatively easy to make, and can be made with ingredients that are easily found in the UK. Finally, Chicken Tikka Masala is a dish that is hearty and filling, and can be served as a main course or as a side dish.
What is Tikka in Tikka Masala?
Tikka is a type of Indian cuisine that typically consists of chicken or lamb that has been marinated in a yogurt and spice mixture and then grilled or baked. The word tikka means “bits” or “pieces” in Hindi, and refers to the small chunks of meat that are used in this dish. The most common spices used in tikka are cumin, coriander, garam masala, and turmeric. Tikka can also be made with fish, paneer (a type of Indian cottage cheese), or vegetables.
Is Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala Spicy?
Yes it most certainly is, but how spicy it is will depend on the amount of chilli you add.
Is this also know as Chicken Chilli Masala ?
Yes it is, but the Chicken Chilli Masala is slightly easier to make as it uses unprepared chicken as apposed to Chicken Tikka
Thanks for reading this recipe about Chicken Chilli Masala!
I hope you love the recipe as much as I do!
If you’ve made this recipe then I’d be ever so grateful if you could tell me about it and how much you liked it below in the comments section…
Take a look at some of my other recipes here on Currytastic…
My authentic Butter Chicken Recipe is similar to a Chicken Tikka Masala and why not make some Spicy Raita Sauce to go with your curry?